About This Blog

Hello Cardlovers! I am Deepthi, a mom of 3 year-old son and a soon to arrive baby! A busy mom with interests in paper crafts ever since I was child. A graduate in Environmental Engineering, I never got the chance to explore my interest in learning the craft until motherhood came along. I love handmade cards, giving gifts, and writing a letter rather than sending an email. So I made this site "Card-a-Mom" - a place for my handmade cards based on my inspirations throughout the world of internet. I just started card making and am constantly learning new techniques in paper crafting. Please leave your suggestions/comments as you explore my blog. Welcome to my space!

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Quilling Krishna silhouette

Quilled Baby Krishna.
This is my first attempt in quilling after making just a couple quilled flowers. Quite trying for a beginner in quilling I would say. I tried to search for quilled krishna on google but could not find many quilled baby ones there. I saw a few Radha-krishna ones which were quite complicated( or rather too much work!).


A vectorStock google image for krishna.
I wanted just a single coloured quilling on a card for my mom and loved this pic. I am no artsy person- but wanted to create this huge task with just a few basic quilling techniques.

I hand cut the krishna image and put a plastic wrap( I reused a plastic sheet you get for flower bouquets!!) on it and taped it to a old cardboard piece.

I saw this technique on youtube by Kativilaga. Its a great tutorial on quilling a bird- for beginners. I used pins to put the outline in place and then filled the inside body.It was my first and only trial and I wish I used just teardrop shape to fill the whole thing.
As I said, I am no art person and probably did not water color more than a dozen times during my schooling! But I wanted to gift this to my mom for Krishnashtami completely handmade by me! Tried water coloring- with my 3 year old putting his hand on my paper continuously. Was checking which one looked better as a background ( I obviously cant get the same look as the vector image!).
Finally went with the yellow background. I initially wanted to glue it to a acetate card ( transparency sheet) and hence took a lot of pain in first doing the outline and then filling the body. If I just glued the pieces on to the cutout directly, it would have been a lot easier for a beginner like me. But in the end, the transparency sheet wasnt strong enough to hold the quilled krishna( just about the size of my palm).So glued it onto the watercolor card.
I covered it with the transparency sheet instead. I learnt a lot while quilling this as it was my first trial in quilling. I wish I had more tips- the quilling teardrops have glue from my hands and it showed up in the final work, after drying,the work is smaller than the image.So the hands and the flute didnt show up quite well after drying. My critic dad comments- why is krishna having a tail?! is he holding a snake or a flute?! But my ever encouraging hubby and mom say it was great! In my ninth month of pregnancy-quilling this was back breaking but I wish to redo the same krishna in a year from now with lots of swirls and curls and some loose teardrop coils and better learnt techniques in quilling ( If I get to eat, sleep,have time to take a decent shower, manage my two kids and still have time for quilling that is!).
Thanks for dropping by and reading the post this far!
This was quilled long before the ganesha but could not get time to post it and also the vaishnava Krishnashtami which my mom follows is on 16th Sep. So Happy Krishnashtami. Maybe I will add a butterpot or something to it later.
Till then keep learning and keep trying!

2 comments:

  1. This quilled art is simpy superb..keep it up. This is the first time i am visiting this blog..:)

    ReplyDelete